View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013   #139
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Really? So, if you offense commonly gets the WR/TE free deep over the middle and your QB hangs it up there like a punt, you don't have any reason to complain? Maybe not all his fault though (see below).

I agree with this and it's been said before by Schaub that his instructions are to put it up there and let his receiver go get it. (I'm guessing the theory being that a 30 yd. completion is better than the potential miss vs. potential TD.)
I have to say I both understand the criticism and like the result better. Carr had a cannon for an arm but it was so frustrating watching him overthrow Bradford and AJ by 5 yards. Yeah, I would rather have the 30 yard completion than the ball bouncing on the field in front of them.

I also think people really under appreciate how difficult it is to chuck a ball into a theoretical pickle barrel which is moving under its own plan while jacking with at least one defender 40 yards down the field while one or more people who intend to hurt you are about to pound you into sand.

No doubt about it, Schaub is not a Staubach or Elway. Those cats are rare.

Quote:
True to a point, but Schaub also forces it to AJ when other guys are wide open because he likes his security blanket. All things being equal, I'd go to AJ too, but he does it in very UNequal circumstances as well.
I'd "force" it to AJ too. He is the most reliable receiver. Throwing to a triple covered AJ is sometimes the safer throw than throwing to Martin who is very likely to go "oh crap a football."