View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't know what the final numbers are for Ed Reed....

But if I were to be able to make one more big FA move, I'd bring in Eric Winston. I'd put him on a 2-year deal at about $2.5 million-per and structure it so that we have room for one more middle-of-the-road signing and the rest for rookie salaries and PS guys.

Why Winston?

Because I'd put him at RT and slide Newton inside to RG. I think he fits better at G than T right now. He needs to get things shaped up before manning the edge, IMO, and I like Winston's run blocking more than Newton's. Winston can road-grade on a more consistent basis.

On the left side, I'd have DB at LT, and then Ben Jones at LG, with a platoon of guys working in and out of the G and T positions to spell the starters. Mondek might be a sleeper guy for us in 2013, too.

I think we need a return to 2011 in terms of our right side of the OL.

Winston might be holding out for bigger money than what we could give him. I'm sure his vet minimum is not much less than what we could stand to offer him, which I think he would reject since we dumped him.

BUT...if I were to be able to manageably add another key player to improve this team and know that it's a relatively safe bet...it'd be Winston, if it could happen.

However, more realistically I can see us adding middle of the road talent to keep the cap space healthy enough for us on rookie signings, PS guys, and emergency money at preseason and reg season if we needed it. In other words, vet minimum deals.
Winston is either signed or has agreed to terms with Miami.