View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013   #54
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shane Lechler to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Look at the hang time.

That should allow guys to get there a little sooner.

If our guys can get down there a yard or two deeper when the ball is fielded; it should help... Unless they miss the tackle, of course. lOL
Yep, hang time is important too, and that doesn't really show up in the stats people of have posted.

I also have to say that there is a big difference in the Texans and Oakland offenses. I would imagine that Oakland's offense had Lechler punting from the Oakland half of the field more often than Donnie Jones did, which leads to less chances to down the ball inside the 20. Oaklands offense wasn't as good as the Texans, so I would imagine Lechler had poorer field position in general.

None of these stats take into account the gunners either, who may or may not be quality speedsters that can break out of blocks and make a play on the returnman or the ball. There are a lot of parts to punting that don't show up in those stats, so I have a real hard time saying one is better than the other by simply looking at net yards.

I really really really wish the NFL would make "shanks" an official stat (punts >25 yards), because that is something that doesn't show up in the stat lines. I know Jones only had a couple of these, but I'd like to know how many Lechler had last year.

Anyways, if the price is right, I'm all for bringing in Lechler, I just hope we aren't skipping a 5th round compensatory pick in doing so.