View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013   #1800
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

ESPN keeps reporting it's a 2-year deal, not a 3-year deal. FWIW.

Also, and this is something nobody else has mentioned:

In terms of what fans think of this move....let's look at it from another perspective for a second. If you're the QB of the Jaguars or the Titans, even Andrew "God" Luck himself, or really any of the other QBs we'll face in 2013, upon learning today that the Texans have Ed Reed at Safety rather than Glover Quin, do you think those coaches, those o-coordinators, and the QBs of those teams we'll face in 2013 were saying "Alright! AWESOME! Whew, great news for us!" or were they saying "Well, we're going to have to work a lot harder at diagnosing coverages now."

Which reaction do you think would be the more likely reaction by our opponents? I happen to think the opponents, especially our divisional rivals, are not as skeptical of this signing as some of us might be.

Fans are not calculating the inherent psychological factor involved here. And look, if Ed Reed gets torched Faggins style in 2013, right out of the gate, then the mystique is gone and we'll be toast. BUT...if Wade and his healthy defense can start the season with radical back-to-form domination, with Ed Reed making coverage plays on defense, then I think it will provide a psychological boost to us and a psychological anxiety attack for opposing teams the rest of the way.

Not saying this is Best Move Ever! or anything, just putting it into a different perspective. I think our divisional rival QBs did not want us signing Ed Reed. Glover Quin? Meh, no big deal...but Ed? Ed is Ed. And whether it stays typical Ed or not, that remains to be seen.