View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013   #22
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Insight into Front Office inactivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think the reasoning behind the pursuit of Reed is twofold.

One, it brings in a veteran player-coach type with leadership in spades (see: Connor Barwin's comments on the lack of leadershuip adversely affecting the team down the stretch last season).

And, two, the team is sticking to its philosophy of building through the draft and signing its own guys. Speaking to your point above, the team in unwilling to give long-term, backloaded contracts to bit players when it anticipates locking up its all-pro level talent. IOW, the team is unwilling to sacrifice a long-term future with Brian Cushing or JJ Watt to sign a Glover Quin, Greg Jennings, or Eric Winston now. This is why, with a limited budget, a short-term contract with an Ed Reed makes all the sense in the world. It fills an immediate need, both as a player and a leader, and fits under the cap while not costing anything in the long term.
There's no room for logic here. The thread title is "inactivity". I think that means you can only post if you're going to shellack the FO.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote