View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013   #131
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I just can't get behind this. On any given down, on any given play, there is not one guy that Schaub is supposed to get the ball to, unless it's a screen. Other than a screen, Schaub is supposed to read the defense & decide where to go with the ball. If his first option is open, that's where he goes. If not, he goes to his second, & third, & so on until he has to decide to check it down, throw it away, or take a sack.

I remember during our divisional game against the Ravens in the 2011 season play-offs, Yates was told many time to trust Aj, give him a chance. I can't imagine Schaub doesn't have that same directive. But then we jump on him for "forcing" it to Aj.

You think Peyton Manning is dropping back surveying the defense every single passing play without a clue of where he's going with the ball and who's getting it before he snaps it? I guess that's why he's legendary for getting the ball out on time..............and staring his WR's down too then huh? Lol the bolded is not at all accurate; 99% of good starting caliber qb's know where they're going with the ball presnap...the really great qb's and HC's know how to manipulate the defense presnap to get the play that they want to the guy they want.....neither of which are to be confused with Schaub and Kubiak...1: b/c Kubiak and his playcalling aren't aggressive and creative enough and 2: b/c Schaub is afforded very little flexibility with audibling.

Furthermore, I'm talking specifically in and around the red zone...where it's pretty tough for the safety to get all the way over the top if a fade route is thrown and 2 where you especially want to spread the ball around to all your playmakers and be more creative with your playcalling thereby giving the defense more to think about. Kubiak did none of that. 9 out of 10 times its a dive or stretch play, curl routes/dump offs up underneath to OD/Foster...and we casually yard by yard move inside the 10 where we can't get anymore 1st downs and then we kick a fg.....unless Foster breaks 1 before we get to that point. I don't think i saw a fade or deep post/ post corner route to AJ 1 time last year.

Opposing teams see your tendencies & i just think that towards the end of the season, Kubiak didn't do his offense any favors by trotting out the same gameplan week after week with little to no creativity. Then i watch teams like the patriots get inside the redzone, bring in an extra tackle, making him tackle elgible forcing the defense to either call a TO or think just enough as they run it up in the EZ for a score...Sure they didn't use the tackle elgible as a WR, but it's on tape and becomes an ace in the hole for them in tight games/playoff games.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote