View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Like kickers, when you start talking percentages, you realize how close everyone is to each other. It's the difference in a few plays that separate the best from the good.
I think the stats can show us that overall he isn't as different from the better QBs as many of us would like to believe.

However, in the past we've said we have a top 10 offense, or top 13 defense using NFL.com's ranking which goes by yards. when you look at points allowed, or points scored, we were more middle of the pack than anything.

Recently we've been able to say we're a top 5 offense & a top 10 defense, in scoring as well as yards & we've also been winning a lot of football games.

So when you look at scoring, Matt's "middle-of-the-pack" just like Flacco; 22 Tds. Of course, you have to factor in that we've got Arian Foster who led the league in rushing TDs. But the Patriots led the league in rushing TDs & somehow Brady managed to throw 12 more TDs than Schaub (& Flacco).

Then again, when you think of who Brady could throw the ball to, who might score & you can come up with a list of names; Welker, Gronk, Lloyd, Woodhead, Hernandez, Stallworth, Riddley, Vareen.....

Make a list of players likely to score for Schaub; Andre, OD,
If anyone esle scored, we'd be just as surprised as the other team.

So the way I see it, Matt is Matt. I don't like the way he throws the long ball, but for whatever reasons, statistically he's on par with "the better" QBs in the league. His QB Rating puts him in the Flacco/Eli tier.

He looked just as crappy/good to me at the end of the season as he did at the beginning of the season. He looked just as crappy/good in the pro bowl as he has his entire career. I don't question that we can win with Schaub (Freak'n Flacco won the Super Bowl with Jacoby Jones), I question whether the team can. Without a major upgrade in receivers, I don't see it happening.

& I don't understand why Kubiak would load up Arian with 600 carries, then keep him out of the passing game. Forsett is a fine receiver out of the backfield, & he's an ok runner. Casey... a fine receiver. If Schaub isn't going to make Kevin Walter look like Wes Welker, why aren't we getting these other receivers involved?