View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013   #111
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The stats you are talking about are on play result also so the pass may have been four yards behind the line of scrimmage and gone for 20.
That is why I made the distinction between passes and pass plays. Perhaps I could have worded it better. Fact is, 20 yards in the air is a long pass play. It doesn't happen that often. I'd be curious to see percentage comparisons from the days before the WCO, but I'm sure no one has ever looked at that. Out of 544 pass attempts this season by Schaub, only 46 of them went for 20+ (9 more than 2011), 8 for 40+. That's a pretty small percentage, and that's even before we start really separating out the plays that you mention, where the receiver does all the work.

Like kickers, when you start talking percentages, you realize how close everyone is to each other. It's the difference in a few plays that separate the best from the good.