View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013   #50
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't think many people here ever said that Rick Smith is a genius.
Most probably, it would be along the line of "solid".

Even the OP uses the term "looking more like".

The things I hope people realize that the Texans have been maxing out the cap (Bob is never cheap).

Some team "sorta" tanked a year here and there to both build up their cap space to buy FAs as well as better slots in the draft.

Each team is in a unique position from year to year; one has to really dig deep to see what was going on.

Some coaches and GMs walked into a better situation than others.

It's by no mean a declaration that Rick Smith is great as a GM, or Kubiak is a great coach, nor a 360 reversal.

Just that we need to adjust our expectation accordingly to each unique situation.

To expect a runner to spot 2-3-4-5 yards to another and criticize that he didn't get to the finish line at the same time doesn't make sense.
I think the way the NFL didn't release what the cap figure would be, for as long as they held out on the release of that info, sucks for all teams who weren't already a bazillion dollars under the cap.

A cap should be announced way in advance. Practically, the cap should be known for 3 or even 4 years in advance.

I want to know what number I have to stay within, and do my own speculative calculations as to making as good of an educated guess as I can in regards to how salaries will increase/inflate over that period.

Instead, we've got a league who holds out on that until almost the last minute. I think the CBA played a part, for sure, and I know or expect cap figures are impacted maybe by annual revenue blah blah blah....still, teams have to know what to expect.

Is there any other major pro sports league that has as complicated and sometimes borderline crazy financial structure as the NFL? Try to get even the most well-educated, most in-the-loop NFL person to say with certainty how all the cap figures are determined and accounted for.....few even agree in one another's figures!