View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just an FWI, Pat Kirwan, in an interview on 610, stated that with Schaub at the helm, he expects the Texans to be a Wildcard type of team.

EDIT: Meant to post this in Schaub thread..
And I agree with Kirwan's analysis.

I think all I want to ask people is this:

Let's say you have three guys in the control room, and there's a lever labeled "Matt Schaub Contract After One Game in 2012." Somebody might have pulled that lever, but which of the three guys do we think ordered the lever to be pulled, and which guy convinced the other two guys it needed to be pulled?

I've got the GM pulling the lever, but he doesn't unilaterally make that call. You've got a guy telling the GM to pull that lever (hint: he's one of two guys who are quick to be too loyal to favored players) and another guy who likely championed the act of pulling the lever (and he'd be the second of two guys who has a loyalty issue).

I see nowhere in Rick Smith's DNA as a GM during his time here that allows Rick to give a damn about any player at any time. The ones making their shopping lists don't always respect the budgets that the person who keeps the books has to find a way to make it all work.

In consideration of what we've always discussed in terms of consistent issues of certain decision makers being too loyal to players and coaches, I find it odd that the GM is zeroed in on, it's somehow his fault that we're cap-strapped all of a sudden.

Worst job out there, IMO, to have to please the owner in terms of managing those ever-fluctuating expenses (and the sheer lunacy of how the NFL hides the actual cap amount for so long from the GMs, making it hard to prepare ahead of time). Also, a GM has to help the coaches stock the roster with thousands of moving parts involved.

Being a GM has to be the next hardest NFL job outside of the guy who washes all the jock straps and pants and jerseys after a game.

I think Rick Smith has done as good of a job with what he's had to work with as anybody else would have. I think Gary and Bob lack long distance vision, actually. Put our GM under a seasoned owner and laser- focused head coach, the real visionary and way-out-front leaders you think of when you think of high quality franchises, I think Rick Smith soars and does extremely well.

He's a part if the trio of people who make the decisions, but I think he's living more in reality than Bob and Gary are. I think he holds it together, honestly.