View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOU intrested in FA OLB Dumervil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Psssst! I have a secret for you: Sometimes, when you're forced to make "drastic moves" you don't normally make, many things can happen....

1. You pay for those risk-taking decisions, and whether you miss the playoffs or you exit in the divisional round, the bill comes due all the same.

2. You can learn from it. Oh, gee, we better offer Ed Reed an avg. of $5 million per year, and stick to it, to stay under the cap and afford other moves too.

You're hung up on 2010 and prior. Who cares what forced us to be AFC South champs and divisional round playoff teams two years in a row, the fact is the bill comes due. What do you rather have had happened after 2010--Stink via staying $20 million under the cap and finishing with 3-13 records the past two years, or to have a triumvirate of decision makers in Bob, Gary, and Rick who pushed the envelope in 2012?

I just don't get it. I'm the grumpiest Texans fan on here other than Hervoyel and even I can see that the front office and owner have done a much better job in 2011 and 2012 than any year prior.

The bill is due, we're making our minimum monthly payments, and trying to figure out on what items we spend our credit line upon. Life is normal, and we had two good years to show for it. And maybe a third yet to come.
I don't think many people here ever said that Rick Smith is a genius.
Most probably, it would be along the line of "solid".

Even the OP uses the term "looking more like".

The things I hope people realize that the Texans have been maxing out the cap (Bob is never cheap).

Some team "sorta" tanked a year here and there to both build up their cap space to buy FAs as well as better slots in the draft.

Each team is in a unique position from year to year; one has to really dig deep to see what was going on.

Some coaches and GMs walked into a better situation than others.

It's by no mean a declaration that Rick Smith is great as a GM, or Kubiak is a great coach, nor a 360 reversal.

Just that we need to adjust our expectation accordingly to each unique situation.

To expect a runner to spot 2-3-4-5 yards to another and criticize that he didn't get to the finish line at the same time doesn't make sense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote