View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013   #185
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it was worst pass defense ever.

I think he did a good job putting the guys in positions to do what they do. I wouldn't say he cleaned up Rick Smith's mess, because then you're talking from a personnel perspective.

Many of those first & second round draft picks were here way before Wade. The value picks, Quin & McCain.... before Wade. Wade fixed Gary's mess, Rick has done a fairly decent (I'd say pretty good, but I don't like the guy) job getting players for our defense.

Jj Watt & Brooks Reed are similar to other guys Smithiak drafted before Wade.... Cushing, Demeco, Connor, Quin, McCain; they all fit the same mold.

Jjo & Manning are like their other FA signings; Antonio, Wade Smith, Pollard, Myers (trade).... all were fairly young (for FAs) that may have been undervalued.

The coaching improved by leaps & bounds, but the quality of players has been on par.
Smith did not draft DeMeco. That would be Casserly w/ Dan Reeves as the special consultant brought in by McNair specifically for that draft who got Ryans.

Cushing was sort of a no brainer considering many predicted it would be Cushing or Clay Mathews, but I guess considering Smith didn't screw it up we should at least give credit where credit is due.

McCain had 1 decent season as did Barwin so we honestly don't know if they will pan out or not. I think allowing them to walk does indicate their worth & value to the Texans & one decent season from each doesn't indicate that either player was a successful pick by Smith. I think both McCain & Barwin have potential, Barwin more so then McCain IMO, but the Texans didn't get too much from them & it remains to be seen if they actually become consistently good players. Hasnt quite earned the notch on Smith's belt IMO.

Quin was a very good pick, IMO, & Smith allowed him to walk. So a once good move could easily turn into a negative IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote