View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013   #1224
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

OMG you type a ton. Fair warning, I won't be able to keep up.
So if I bail, no offense lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
How is it Rick's fault that Gary hired a guy, Frank Bush, whom Gary waited upon until Frank Bush's contract with the Arizona Cardinals was up???
NONE of that is on Rick Smith. The bad defense was bad because of incompetency on the coaching level,
I think our 2010 secondary was clearly more of a talent issue.

Quote:
Therefore, sure, Rick is helping to stock the roster according to what the coaches say they want. Lists are made, inquiries to agents are made, tryouts are usually held, and then the team makes a decision.
Normally I might agree but I'm not so sure Bush asked for a nickel package consisting of Eugene Wilson, Bernard Pollard, rookie Kareem Jackson, Brice McCain, and Glover Quin with Zach Diles and an overtrained, suspended Cushing at LB.
That was a recipe for disaster. Plus did Bush forget how to coach after 2009? Or did the loss of Meco, Cushing, Robinson etc. make teams decide to keep us in nickel and just throw on every down?

Quote:
But hey, let's talk about the post-2010 decision and how we're "paying for it now." He relishes it you can see it in him when he speaks about his roles with the team. Neither Bob nor Gary want that blood on their hands. They're culpable, but they're insulated and distanced from it.
Now we've got something to honestly maintain and build upon, and people think we've mismanaged the team???????????? I don't get it, I guess.
I am not sure I would say mismanaged, and I'm not talking just about Rick Smith. Their problems are based mainly on poor drafting and personnel movement failures, not the free agent acquisitions that were needed to repair those mistakes. Okoye (1st), Fred Bennet (4th), Antwaun Molden (3rd), Xavier Adibi (4th), Frank Okam (5th), Antoine Caldwell (3rd) were total busts who didn't contribute. As a direct result you had to spend free agent money on Chris Meyers, Antonio Smith, JJo and Manning to cover up those holes you created. Look at the direct correlation between positions of draft busts and free agent cash. When Smith decided to give dunta robinson the boot, he failed to bring in a cheaper guy that could fill that hole with either his picks or a cheaper free agent.

I bring up the Schaub, Foster and Andre contracts as afterthoughts to the main problem. I am not saying paying those guys more than you had to killed the cap. But what is a better formula for winning, having Dre and Foster playing on contracts they don't like or cutting Winston, Barwin, Demeco and Quin? And I give them all kinds of credit for Antonio Smith, Chris Meyers, JJo and Manning. Great signings in places of need. You just had too many places of need.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote