View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013   #1204
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Let me offer another, possibly also correct, viewpoint.

The cowboys unwisely overspent, but are also still paying for the "uncapped" year that wasn't. All the owners that didn't go over the phantom cap decided to punish them for spending extra money.

On the Texans side:
  1. overpaid for Schaub and Foster.
  2. gave Andre Johnson a raise when he still had 5 years left on his contract. They made that contract incentive heavy but he freaking hit all the escalators and incentives. Now his cap hit for 2013 is 14.6 million dollars, or more than double than it would have been.
  3. botched the secondary personel moves that resulted in a wasted season, and the need to break the bank bringing in JJo and Manning. The pain is coming this year in the form of Antonio and Joseph's 20 million against the cap.
I think the biggest regret the FO has to have is the Matt Schaub contract one game into the regular season this past year. That was a big goof-up. It came on the heels of Peyton Manning being deified in the media all summer long, so I think they felt that IF Matt had a spectacular game after his first real game against real competition, then it was time to blast the media with news that we've locked up OUR very own QB and that we're just fine without Peyton Manning. That's the whole "loyalty" thing that the entire organization is frankly known for exhibiting too much of in its brief history.

I get the sense that Rick Smith is the coldest guy in the room. I think he's constantly trying to talk sense into both the head coach AND the owner when it comes to this loyalty issue that they have. Does Bob McNair strike anyone here as being a pretty clutch owner 10 years into the Texans' existence? I didn't think so. Great man, no doubt. Spends money on facilities and a great game-day experience, no doubt. Loyal, no doubt. But I think he and Gary are cut from the same cloth when it comes to the concept of letting go. Rick, on the other hand, seems like he's ready and willing to cut and trim and make unpopular moves. Just from watching them in interviews, seeing how people perceive them over the years, you get the sense that Rick is ready to wheel and deal.

We didn't goof up on Foster. I don't think he's as all-world as he's been made out to be. But when he has decent blocking, he gets the job done. He's been severely under-used in the passing game, too. Matt freaking throws the ball to places sometimes that not even an 8-foot tall man is going to pull down, but the times he gets the pass he's doing something with it. I think Foster is our guy at RB. End of story. Had to sign him before his deal ran out, or he would be out of here right now. He'd be on one of the teams who had a bazillion dollars in cap space. Tate and Forsett heading into 2013? No thanks.

Antonio Smith is arguable. He had a down year this past season. But hey, the whole defense did. Right? Right.

Joseph is worth every penny we gave him. The alternative is to put KJ at CB1 and then what would we field as CB2??? I can't think of any player we could have had two years ago, for a CB spot, that would've made our secondary good enough to handle the NFL's best WRs. Money well spent, for a change.

Now we'll have JJ Watt to re-sign. Heh, you guys are going to **** the bed when that deal gets announced. How does that deal not end up breaking us apart like Flacco's deal did to the Ravens??? JJ Watt is the man. And yet we've got all these other really good, really deserving players to pay. Or we lose them.

Success sucks. We've been in business as Texans fans for 10 years, we know nothing of what it's like to go 50 or 60 years without being dominant and then being successful and watching our success cause us to be poor and pitiful again. 10 years as a Texans fan. Two of those 10 years, which are the past two seasons of football, we've won the division and made it to the divisional round each year...and we're paying for it. It happens. Time to quit the bitching and belly-aching and just accept that "Yes, we are going to have make money decisions. Yes, we have to draft like rock stars every year. And yes, we're going to end up sometimes getting a Plan B rather than a Plan A."

Doesn't mean our FO are complete idiots. Does it? Refer back to my rant earlier about how we're an instant gratification society. That's all I got to say.

The problems we have, they're good problems to have. IMO.