View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HOU intrested in FA OLB Dumervil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
After my rant, I'd like to ask someone who understands the cap more than me to explain the ramifications of going over it. I've heard 'hard cap' which i thought meant 'cant go over it' and then some people say that Dallas and WAshington are paying luxury taxes for going over the said 'hard cap'. Im a little confused. If YOU CAN go over a cap I think the Texans should for at least this year with whats available right this minute.
That was a one time deal in the "uncapped year." Ordinarily the NFL has a hard cap. Dutchrudder can explain it in full detail (he has recently so you might search his posts) but it wasn't a luxury tax so much as a penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Where have these reports surfaced? If that can't afford to give Reed $6M they won't be able to give Elvis the $10M+ he'll likely be looking for.
Nobody has said the Texans can't afford to give Reed $6 mil. In addition folks continue to confuse average over the life of a contract with cap hit. Miami has signed like 7 players to over $120 mil in contracts and only $12.5 or so will be on this year's cap. Contracts almost never hit the cap evenly according to the average.

Also the highest paid pass rusher this year has gotten a contract averaging $7.5 mil.