View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,298
Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Dre offers to restructure... again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Most restructures (including every restructure Andre's ever done) consist of paying the upcoming salary above the minimum, as a bonus in one lump sum, and then dividing that sum evenly over the years remaining on the contract for cap purposes. If it involves a pay cut, that's typically a known fact (see Kevin Walter in 2012), and believe me, players don't initiate that conversation.

While I'm guessing most on this board are not "under contract", it would be the equivalent of your employer coming to you and saying we'd like to pay you 80% of next year's salary this minute, with the remaining 20% being paid out like you normally get your salary. And the best part is that it makes it more expensive for your employer to get rid of you, so you'll have that going for you down the road.

The reality is that for these type of restructures, there's actually a benefit to the player, and a very real potential long-term cost to the team for doing them. Best case scenario, the team creates current cap room and uses up future cap room (ie: break even). Worst case, they create new guaranteed money that could either become dead money down the road, or force them to keep someone they'd rather not because it's too expensive to cut them.
Back in the early days of free agency, I believe it was unheard of for a player to play out the portion of his contract where he was due a large sum of money, the $16M+ Mario received his last two seasons here, the $12M Dumerville was supposed to get this year.

I don't know what to think about Andre's $15M cap number. I'm pretty sure much of that is already pro rated from earlier years. I'm not sure that restructuring again would help us as much as you'd think. Maybe only save us $3M & not $8M or $10M.

But yeah, I'm sure the Texans have already talked to a number of players about restructuring if needed.
__________________
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote