Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: League City, Tx
Re: 2nd player announcement
Originally Posted by GP
There's also a chance that having Ed Reed here for this long MIGHT make other players like Winfield or Woodson capitalize upon Reed's inaction by jumping into the thick of things and basically getting a friendlier deal done ASAP with the Texans.
This stuff cuts both ways. Ed and his advisors can end up being the ones who inadvertently get us our next combo of FA's like what happened with Aso and how we got J-Jo and Manning wrapped up all at once.....leaving the "premiere" player out of the running here.
I think people have this idea that our FO are completely clueless. They might not be FO Of The Decade but look, they're being cautious and playing the odds as straight as they can:
1. Winston obviously didn't wow the Chiefs last season. Released and still unsigned.
2. Ryan. Great player, but not worth the cap hit here. Traded for picks, which seems like the first time the Texans actually received picks rather than giving them away.
3. Dreessen too expensive, nothing we could have done there. Brisiel too costly, he's been released from his new team one year after leaving here for a bigger payday. Jason Allen? Same situation as Brisiel.
4. This year, we didn't overpay Barwin and he's going to meet the same fate with the Eaglws as Brisiel did with the Raiders...in a year or two, tops. He's simply a workout warrior like Carr, Babin, Okoye, etc. Great in camp, absent in reg season.
5. Casey. Whoa! Dude got a crazy offer from the Eagles. Whether he was miscast here or under-used here, not the point. He was gone no matter what.
6. Quin. This is the riskiest move, but coupled with the exits of Barwin and Casey...with a run of player contract restructures looming (to get more cap space) we're trying to land what our FO and coaches think could be an upgrade over Quin for nearly what Quin signed for in Detroit.
I won't say this FO is flawless. But guys and gals, seriously....this is not an incompetent FO.
Wait until two years from now when these "cap rich" teams are eating all these contracts they're signing now. The FA pool and playing field, due to new CBA from 2011, will make all teams respect the cap, spend their cap, and force shrewd dealings. It's what was wanted: No more crazy contracts that screw up teams and screw over fans AND make it hard for great players to land on better teams.
There is a crazy amount of FA talent still left.
Agree with your assessment and hope like hell that last paragraph plays out that way. The first step needs to be for GMs to back off on giving one guy - the QB - 10-20% of their overall salary cap.