View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013   #191
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agent Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What I heard, was the contract had to be signed by 4pm today (yesterday, whatever). Looks like the agent was screwing around & trying to force the Broncos to pay them $12M.

Elway wasn't going to get played & did what he had to do. It didn't matter when the paperwork got to the league office, but a signed fax time stamped 4:04pm pretty much screws the deal.

Our GM didn't balk at paying Mario (who I love) more than 12M/yr not only once, but twice & the guy still walked.

I don't know how you can say Elway has egg on his face for this one. Not in present company anyway.
What we know:

1. It was not an ultimatum since there were some changes back and forth in the contract language.

2. The Broncos wanted to cut $4M of the total contract (3 years left), but with all the cuts in the first year.

3. The Dumervill camp agreed with the first year cut, but asked for an addl' 500K in the second year, and an amount of $3.5M to be guaranteed.

4. This next part is from the agent; he claimed that the Broncos agreed orally, but then changed the language in the contract to read "$3.5M guaranteed only in case of injury" (meaning the team can cut him to avoid the guarantee portion.) The Broncos so far has not refuted this claim.

Why not push for a deal sooner during the week?
Why not set a deadline for yesterday?

Why add the injury clause into the contract?
It looks like bad faith negotiation.
Kevin Walter for example, agreed to take a paycut in 2012 in hope to stay with the Texans long-term. His agent didn't ask for anything.
Walter got cut this year.

In case of Dumervil, I think the agent did right by informing Dumervil of the situation. It takes time for Dumervil to think about the implication.
Basically, the Broncos didn't help that matter.

Who knows what the real intention of each party is.

What we know that in legal matters when there are negotiations involved and changes to be made back and forth, it's best to set a clear deadline way ahead of time to be sure that everything is transparent (good faith negotiation.) The Broncos organization has their own lawyers. They should know the matter.

By failing to do it sooner, IMO, the Broncos didn't do anybody a favor.

It's quite unclear to me what their real strategy was.
But the bottom line is they didn't achieve the results they desired.
==>> FAIL
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote