View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013   #168
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
BTW, I did notice Rogers (and I did mention to you that he has a draftable grade.)

While I looked at him closer (when you mentioned him), I think I notice something else about Bray.
This was in the back of my mind, but I think I see it a little clearer now.

You know how QBs are taught to keep both hands on the ball up on the chest area as much as possible for both protection and readiness?
I noticed that Bray has a tendency to forget about it as the game goes on, especially when he sees pressure.

His footwork isn't great to begin with (and yes, I understand that all these QB prospects need improvement - even Joe Montana did) so with any additional faulty in his mechanics, his game gets worse.

He gets into a habit of dropping his hands a little lower than he should, or have them apart a bit too soon; sometimes he completely forgot about it.

He doesn't have an over-the-top release to start with, so it takes him a hair longer to bring his throwing arm into optimum position to throw the ball.
Sometimes, he begins to palm the ball "too much".

Every little thing adds up such that his 3-quarter delivery is extended a hair longer. And I'm talking an eight of a second here.

As with Phil Simms, it's fixable.
And you ought to remember I mentioned Simms saying this in his book; that he didn't get it corrected until later during his career.

I think Bray can be helped tremendously if he can correct this.
His release isn't terrible slow.
He has a live arm.
His delivery isn't as winded as Schaub's (when he first joined the Texans.)

An eight of a second is very important at this level.
IMO, if Bray can correct this, and he should be able to, he can make it in the NFL.
Like you mentined these are things that can be fixed with proper coaching. That he didn't get from Dooleys staff. Bray has as much talent as any QB in this draft. It's just a matter of how hard he wants to work to fix his flaws. I would love to see Gary get the chance to work with Bray.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote