View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013   #145
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I said before that in hind sight I can look back at a few of his drafts and say that he's made several solid picks, but mainly in the first round. The only thing is that how much of that do I credit to Kubiak or Wade as well?
That's the thing everyone seems to be ignoring - or at least failing to acknowledge. Rick Smith doesn't make moves in a vacuum. Uncle Bob doesn't want it that way. Any move this team makes, and pretty much has been since Charlie left, is a collaboration.
- The coordinators cook up their respective schemes.
- The head coach oversees/approves what they come up with; much more so on offense than defense (thank God!).
- Then the respective coordinators and their support staffs let the scouts know what attributes the respective schemes will demand.
- The scouts go out and locate those guys then run the prospects they find by the coordinators/coaches.
- They check the reports, watch college film, then come up with a shopping list for Rick Smith to target in free agency or the draft. Mainly the draft.

I'd bet good money that Rick Smith hasn't picked a single player that hasn't been vetted by "the committee". And I know if I were the head coach or one of the coordinators, I wouldn't want him to.

Why would any coach/coordinator want a guy who doesn't call the plays or come up with the weekly game plan selecting players to execute said game plan/plays without his input?? Like Parcells said, "if I have to cook the meal, I ought to get to shop for the groceries."

All that to say Rick Smith may go get the groceries but he damn sure doesn't make the grocery list on his own. His job is to get as many of the guys the coaches tell him to get as he can and get them under contract at a price we can afford in today's constricted salary cap NFL.

The secondary (a very close second) is to keep the core players long term and retain/replace role players as necessary. When another team sees that one of your role players can be a core player for them - and wants to pay them like a core player - you have no choice but to let them walk. I'm not in favor of scrambling to keep Casey or Quin or Barwin if it means I don't have cap room to keep Cushing next year or Watt the year after that.
just my
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote