View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

I'd care a lot more about this "exercise in objectivity" if, for once, the findings contradicted the OP's long held stance on the issue.

Another example of someone finding the stats that supports the original opinion. When has someone on here EVER said "Player X is pretty good!" and then found numbers and came back on here and said "Whoops, my bad. Player X sucks really bad!"

Heh. It doesn't happen.

Jacoby Jones' stats heading into 2011 were miles beyond David Anderson's stats. Not even close, except in one category of drops/fumbles IIRC. All other categories, JJ's stats were consuming David's stats like a midnight snack in the hands of a growing teenager. What happened? Jacoby stumbled and bumbled his way out of Houston after 2011........only to go and perform multiple VERY CLUTCH moments with the Ravens, in both the Broncos game and the Super Bowl game, and that tells us the following: Stats. Don't. Matter. Not when you look at the grand scheme of things.

I suppose since stats are kept, we look to them for validation of a player. They're on the back of trading cards, for Pete's Sake! They MUST be worth something. In the end, though, they're just that: Stats. Congrats on your stats! Where's your rings?

Rings > Stats. All day, every day. Forever.

EXAMPLE: This is why, IMO, the Texans let Quin walk. To be honest, he wasn't very clutch heading through December. We had a lot of deep plays thrown on us in the month of December. I think we all cursed at our TVs when we watched deep passes, on multiple situations, get by our safeties. Quin might have just been more of a liability for the dollar he was about to command. Ed Reed is smarter in the defensive backfield, so maybe it's an upgrade in the eyes of the coaches. Ed has more rings and more big-game experience than Quin does. Period. For that alone, it's excusable to let Quin walk. We were going to have to spend that coin on someone, Texans weren't confident in spending THAT coin on Quin. Just as a reference on the whole stats vs. rings example I gave earlier.