Thread: Steve McKinney
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004   #13
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP
Default Re: Steve McKinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
Of course BornOrange will talk down about McKinney, he's a horn.
I am not talking down about McKinney. I don't care if he was an aggie in college. Ray Childress was my favorite Oiler behind Earl Campbell. Aaron Glenn is one of my favorite Texans.

My point about McKinney is that center is his best position, especially in the Texans offense. Even though the Texans have said they like athletic guards who can pull, the actual type of guards they have pursued are bigger guards who can overpower at the point of attack. The three guys the Texans have drafted to play guard (Pitts, Brown, Weary) are all bigger than McKinney. I know what the official weights say, but just looking at them you can tell that those three guys all have 15-20 pounds on McKinney.

What the Texans want out of their center is someone who is a little bigger than the average center who can hold his own against a nose tackle without requiring a double team. It was mentioned that McKinney hasn't done well against Stroud, Henderson, Jenkins. Well guess what? No center does well against those guys without help.

McKinney may not be a Pro-Bowl caliber center, but he is a better than average center who fits the Texans system.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote