View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You talk as if draft picks mean a thing in the NBA now days. I mean what is a draft pick in the last 6 years or so??

You honestly believe that it was Morey who held onto Yao?? Come on now. Morey had his hands tied to Yao more like it. Les Alexander was never going to part ways with Yao Ming. Les would have let Morey go before he would have allowed any GM to deal Yao while he was still non retired with the ability to rehab and attempt to still play.

Well I agree with you that it would have been better off probably to do it that way, but that isn't realistic at all to think that any GM would do that when they were good enough to go at least slightly over 500 and fight for a playoff spot. No GM would want to put their job on the line by tanking for certain draft picks. I would have liked for that to have been the outcome, but I never once thought that Morey would do something like that, nor would I expect him to risk his job like that.

I hated that trade. Yeah, Gasol is so bad ass this year isn't he? Gasol is a nice player that I've always appreciated, but he was hardly a real piece for us, and why on earth would you even mention Howard at this point?? I hated the idea of Howard last off season, and boy do I hate it even more now after seeing his stint in LA. I'd never trust that guy after seeing how he acted in Orlando. Morey is waiting patiently to find that right superstar or the closest thing to it, and he'll pull trigger. It's a matter of being able to get other superstars to join the Rockets team. With the Beard here, I think they have a much better chance going forward.

The NBA is a much bigger crap shoot all around now days though. Realistically there are really only 3 teams that even have a chance now days and about 3 other decent contenders. The rest of the NBA are all a bunch of random teams that have no shot.
Not doing the NBA thingy

But you've got to admit Morey has done more with less and had more difficult perameters to work under with Les being the owner. Morey is a far more intelligent GM that's willing to take risks Rick would never take.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote