View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Trust the Texans' Front Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
The Texans' are losing role players that can be replaced cheaply.
Not exactly true. Using Quin as an example - he is a role player. But replacing him cheaply is not as easy as you suggest. We could just as easily end up with another Antwan Molden as we could Glover Quin. The key for good teams is when they develop and coach up those mid-level players, especially a position shift like Quin, is to hang onto them for a reasonable price. Now, I don't know if $5M/yr is a reasonable price for Quin or not, but the fact that Texans never even offered him a contract and let him hit free agency makes me question what the hell they're thinking.

Anytime your strategy is to replace talent solely through the draft, you have to hit on your picks and the ramp-up time in coaching has to be accounted for. There's value in the mid-level guys that are solid contributors, as long as you know what that value is. By not even offering Quin, I question Rick Smith's assignation of value.