View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
This simply isn't true. Schaub has a very long track record... college, Atlanta, and 7 years in Houston and his accuracy has never been an issue. He has always been among the leaders in completion percentage and the important stat: Yards per attempt.
I think what Jules is talking about is ball placement. He puts the ball in some of the darndest places. Arian's TD pass that he mentions, for instance, that might have been the best place to put that ball, away from the defender, in bounds, but Arian was going to have to make a play. I believe the pass to Andre in the endzone (the one he dropped) was similar, Aj should have come off his feet to catch that one.

The underthrown ball to Casey that was picked off...... that's been an issue since day one, one that I've brought up frequently. However, there is a quote where he says he does it on purpose to increase the odds of it being caught. 'cak's numbers & his overall completion percentage points to him being more right on that case (even though I hate it).

If you look at the two big plays Jacoby had during the play offs... both underthrown, but he had more time to locate the ball (because they were thrown high) & adjust. If they were thrown ahead of him, he'd have to run underneath it. We've seen receivers do it all the time, but we've also seen more of those passes (I think) graze fingertips, than the underthrown ones go incomplete. So I'm on the fence on the "underthrows it on purpose" argument.

& speaking of Jacoby, I think the reason he's not here, & KDub made another year, was that Matt simply didn't trust him. You go back to that Raiders game a couple years back where he was targeted 11 times & didn't catch 1 ball. Matt put those balls where Jacoby would have to do some acrobatics to have a chance & I think that was because he didn't trust Jacoby to fight off defenders.

But I've seen several throws to Walter & Daniels that were on the numbers when they had defenders on their backs.

Bottom line, his completion percentages always look good. But watching the game I can't help but question his placement.