View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013   #52
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You can attempt to frost this cake any way you want. I am sorry but over the course of a season and multiple different styled QB's your rationales fall away. At the end of the day the results weren't better on big plays. Someone should be really standing out particularly with this class of comparisons to lowly Schaub. You would think the holders of 9 SB rings would easily shine against Schaub with stats on this issue.

I used the same source for all of them. I doubt ESPN was biased for Schaub.

Don't get caught up in the minutiae. The fact is these big names were not flinging the ball around 30+ yds with a great deal more success than Schaub. Y'all can rationalize it away all you want but that is a fact.
Lol..i-cak i'm on your side in this debate my man, i just don't see the correlation you're trying to make with pass attempts and completions with completing the long ball. Just b/c the qb is better or you throw the ball more doesn't necessarily mean that you will be or should be completing passes of 40+ yards or more than everyone else....we agree there. My point however is that there are too many factors that contribute to that stat for it to be as cut and dry as you're presenting it.

Matt Stafford threw the ball 727 times last year...by far the most in the league. Yet he only attempted to throw the ball 40+ yds 25 times for a grand total of 7 completions...28%...pretty much right in line with the other qb's you listed in your initial post (stats from ESPN). You don't think the fact that opposing defenses know their offense is based primarily on them throwing it up to Calvin Johnson had any effect on that completion % and how they played them? or how about the fact that their defense couldn't stop anyone so they found themselves down big in a lot of 4th qtrs or the fact that their run game was trash? That stuff matters more than people like to admit.

With Kubiak's stubborn conservative ass playcalling, we overly commit to the run and i'm sure the pass plays he does call for Schaub throughout the course of games are high % designed to keep us in 3rd and short situations where we can run or pass. Hell, how many times have we all complained about the playcalling in 3rd and long situations and Kubiak calls a freakin draw? His playcalling is 1 of the biggest detriments to Schaub and our offense at times; I'm convinced now more than ever.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote