View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013   #116
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah........ I don't think you're going to sell Quin having more difficult assignments...... He's on the inside, the guy he's defending has a lot less options available to him. Kjax is on the edge, on an island & his guy can go anywhere he wants & is faster & many times just as physical.

But, it don't matter.

Jjo & Manning were the stars of our secondary in 2011. Hands down, without question, it was Kj & Quin in 2012.

I know people don't like to blame the deep safety for a lot of our issues, but.... Since Keo & Demps suck, & Cushing was hurt, DManning was asked to man up much more often in 2012 than in 2011, when he played center field for us.... & he was a damn good center fielder.

Next year, if we get a badass back in Cushing & Jjo is healthy, our defense would be sick if Quin returns. If not, our new ILB better be a badass, or we'll be dropping Manning into man coverage more often & he's just not as affective as Quin, imo. I don't care that he used to be a corner, I don't care that he did it in Chicago. He's not as good a tackler, he's not as physical at the line, or as hard a hitter as Quin. Manning is faster, has much better range, has better ball skills, but I'd much rather see Demps playing man coverage, with Manning playing center field. We'll get the same crappy coverage, but someone on the back end who might force a turnover.
Heh, I'm just going to have to agree to disagree. You want to dismiss everything for what you believe. For instance, Manning isn't as good a tackler yet has had less missed tackles while he's been here than Quin (Q - 21; Manning - 9). He had less missed tackles than Quin even when he manned SS for the Bears as well. In other words, he's a sure tackler.

Or that you say Quin was the star of our secondary last year yet he allowed 6 passing touchdowns which is more than anyone else in the secondary (only by one though). And of course here is one of the bigger things most seem to be completely forgetting and dismissing...

With the concept Manning couldn't do what Quin does (as the other poster states as well) yet in Wade's system the safeties are interchangable. They do the same job at different points in a game. it's why we got rid of Pollard. Wade doesn't just sit you in the box. You have to do both jobs. Manning and Quin did it last year as did Demps as well.

I think in another post you said the faults of the secondary fell on Manning/Joseph. Manning was targetted only 41 times last season which makes that difficult for him to achieve (lowest among starters). He allowed 380 yards, Quin 463. No, I'm not saying Manning was better. I'm saying they were rather similar in play. Both were 'solid' not exceptional.

Oh and Joseph didn't have a top notch season but not as bad you are painting. He allowed one touchdown despite being targetted 92 times. His fault was he gave more cushion last season than usual so allowed more underneath throws but wouldn't let anyone just straight beat him. His worse games were Jets and Packers who got over 100 on him.

If wondering Quin allowed one 100 yard game against the Colts. Manning never did. Kareem twice against Denver and Jacksonville.

I do agree though in regards to assignments that Jax would draw more difficult ones than the safeties. Not to mention they are targetted much more. LOL heck, Jax had to cover Calvin Johnson and it doesn't get more tough than that one.

I say $5mil is a good price as well and it seems that is what Quin is seeking. Hopefully Smith has that on the table.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote