View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013   #47
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Myth of the Long Ball & Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
the problem is almost all of schaubs deep throws are off of play action and augmented with threatening running game.

THOSE ARE IDEAL LONG PASSING PLAYS AND YET SCHAUB STILL HAS TROUBLE MAKING THEM.

Some of those guys on those list they dont always work off of play action because of their respective system. Schaub will only throw the long ball if its the play his twin brother gary calls. Conservative gary will only choose long passing plays if its ideal and needed. Those other guys, their degree of difficulty is much greater than schaub. Throwing the deep ball is just one of many problems with matt schaub.

In the analytics era, you can pull out any statistic and make any point you want seem truthful.

Nice moral victory thread and this proves once again how delusional houstonians are with their quarterback.

This is why we got stuck with david carr for so long. Houstonians and the front office were gutless and refused to see what they had in front of them. They kept on making rationalizations instead of making an honest analytical decision and move on from the situation.

Its happening again with schaub.

You people deserve matt schaub and gary kubiak.
While it may be true that you can misrepresent stats, it isn't true that all statistics are misrepresented. I think this is a pretty good application of statistics. I do analytical work all of the time and have made quite a few changes that contradicted what everybody "knew" to be true. At the same time there is always pressure to "tell a story with statistics" and that can be done too. The only criticisim of this particular statistic would be that it is a small sample size (though there are ways to deal with that) but it is hard to argue to the contrary. Perhaps you could find an alternative to that statistic which proves the contrary?

With HWWNBN it was a slightly different situation. The only statistic in his favor was his completion percentage. Every other statistic pointed to him being less than adequate (I carried his banner for a little too long admitidly but it was a lesson in analytics for me). What are the stats you would use to suggest that Schaub doesn't have a good arm or is a sub par QB?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote