View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #90
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I have given it serious thought but I still think it is a really bad move to let him hit the open market because we have 4 options. Play Keo, sign a free agent, draft a rookie, or tag him.

Playing Keo would be a disaster.

Sign a free agent. Dashon Goldston, William Moore and Jairus Byrd would cost too much. Rick Smith knew this if they did any type of analysis which they probably did a while ago. Lewis Delmas can't stay healthy. Kenny Phillips had microfracture surgery a couple of years ago and also missed most of 2012 with another knee injury. Ed Reed will never play for the Texans. LaRon Landry has had a very inconsistent career. The rest of the guys are either old or a significant downgrade.

As for a rookie I believe that we have too many needs to draft a safety who can start from day one.

For this reason I personally would have placed the franchise tag of 6.8 million on him, worked on a long term deal, and cut a player like Kevin Walter (just did that) to help make room for a player who is a crucial part of our no depth secondary. Many players like to test free agency but given the circumstances and alternatives I think that it was stupid to let Quin hit the open market.
1. Agree totally on Keo
2. Agree with concerns regarding Delmas and Phillips
3. You have no idea whether Reed would play for us or not.
4. I love Landry and think he is worth the gamble.

Franchising Quin would eat up our available cap and make other moves very difficult. I'd like them to sign him but I don't want them to overpay on a 4 or 5 year deal. So, I like that they have let him look around.

If Quin goes, there are a lot of quality veteran options that will allow money to be allocated elsewhere. Also, we will have 10-11 draft picks and it is a deep group of safeties. So, if we don't grab one of the following (Landry, Goldson, Delmas, Reed, etc..), we still will get Mikell, Sensabaugh, DLandry, Crocker, Bigby, Huff, Elam, A.Wilson, etc... and also address the group in the draft.