View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #60
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
So basically you say that you can see Quin is doing all this, handling his coverage responsibilities to the degree no one else can do yet when someone else reviews the games and tapes they aren't capable of evaluating and coming up with the QB rating against that player because they have no clue about his assignments? But somehow you know. The rating has been there for a several years at this point so yeah...it is possible.
I didn't say that nobody could provide what Quin provided, I am saying you won't get it at a low price, or lower than what Quin would command. Additionally, there isn't a group of free agents out there that can provide what Quin provided. If there are, please point me to them. I also never said I knew what his assignments were all the time. That is what would be required to come up with a rating system such as the one your backing. When I say that something is not possible, it is based on common sense. It doesn't mean that I think I know all of his assignments.

Reading comprehension needed.

It's not difficult to see when someone is in man coverage on a player. Zone is the problem, if you are trying to determine who is responsible for what catch or what touchdown. When I speak about Quin being able to effectively man up on slot receivers, that is something that is easily viewable. Rating a defensive player based off of quarterback rating requires that you know every player's assignment on every play and the way that each player is coached. That is impossible. Again, common sense. Here is an article with Quin talking about getting "help" from other players on a specific play. Maybe he can help you understand why that rating system is a joke.

Quote:
“I definitely feel like I can cover. I’ve played two years in the NFL as a cornerback, so I definitely feel like I can cover, but I’m a scheme guy. I’m a guy that I understand the defense, I understand the schemes and I understand my leverages and my help. When you’re playing corner in this league, if you understand the scheme and you understand what’s going on, you can for the most part survive if you know where you’ve got your help at. There’s not a lot of people out there that can just cover every route by a great receiver. You can’t do that, but if you know you got help on the inside, well if he goes inside, I don’t care. I’m playing every route on the outside or vice versa or I’m fighting everything deep because I know I’ve got short help. It just depends on the leverage and the scheme that you have. I mean, if you understand that, than you can be successful as a corner.
Your telling me that some random guy watching film is privy to all that information for every team and every defensive scheme in the NFL? He also understands the small differences in the way each player is coached and therefore can account for that in his rating system, correct? He understands these things well enough to create a rating system that so specifically grades players? I mean, 95.7 or whatever it was is pretty specific, wouldn't you say? And you trust that rating system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Put it like this...you are trying to say no one can do what he does. That is a stretch because he lines up next to someone that did it and does it. One, the safety spots are interchangable. So Manning will get smashed shows you are assuming. He played the role with the Texans to an extent but also with the Bears. He played nickle back to cover the slot guys then moved to SS in the box for the Bears. He had the same responsibilities when they didn't utilize cover 2 which is a majority of the time when he was the strong safety. Manning played FS, NB, SS and FS again. So yeah, he can do it too. And we have no clue if those like Byrd could either. But I simply bring up Manning because I'm a Bears/Texans fan so have seen him since his rookie year. He was a pet for Lovie Smith.
Your just plain wrong, sorry to say it. Quin and Manning play different roles, dramatically different. They don't put Manning in man against the better TEs and slot WRs in the game on a consistent basis. Manning may have been able to do it when he was young and with the Bears, but that's not the case anymore. I wouldn't even be able to tell if you if that is true or not because I didn't watch enough of the Bears back then. I watch every Texan game, obviously, so I can speak about that. If he was equally as good as Quin at playing receivers in the slot, why is Quin doing is so much more often? Why don't we see their roles reversed more often? Again, common sense.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote