View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #53
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
If he had been cut, then he could have signed with another team whenever. However, I doubt another team really would have spent a dime on him before they saw what else was available. Plus, it's a very deep WR draft. I would imagine most teams would look at a mid-round rookie receiver as a better alternative to Walter.
I'm aware that anybody could have signed him (and pretty much said what you did about lack of interest in doing that).

The point is, there's only two real problems that can result in terms of the timing of cutting someone. The first is if roster's have already been set, as in the night before the season example. The second is if teams have already spent most/all of their free agent budget, and there's nothing left. This is where the free agency period starting today comes in - none of that money has been spent (although not to beat a dead horse, but given the salary expectations I think are realistic for Walter, that will likely never be much of an issue for him anyway).

As has been brought up earlier in this thread, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Walter back with the Texans at veteran minimum salary, and only a $600,000 (give or take) salary cap hit.