View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #72
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well the Patriots utilize FA as much if not more than drafts to assemble a team.

It's not a one or the other proposition, successfully acquiring players through either FA & the draft is the only way to build success.

Look at the Ravens, look at the 49ers, Giants, Steelers. They're active in FA. They just don't overpay for players (most players), they're willing to let their overpriced FAs walk, & they bring people in on the cheap.

Patriots took a chance on Moss & set records, traded a 2 & a 7 for Welker & broke records.
Except the Patriots rarely go flashy with FA pickups. They seem to find guys that were sitting in someone else's garage or even their garbage cans. They grab players like Welker that 2 other teams had and didn't know what to do with. Or, they didn't have competent QBs that could get him the ball. He didn't cost them a lot when they first signed him.

Even Harrison, a key for their SB winning teams, didn't cost a lot after he'd been cut by San Diego. The same goes for Seau. They get guys on the cheap that can fill a role and don't sabotage the team by hamstringing their cap.

I don't mind the Texans getting involved at that level. I just hesitate when I see fans salivating over the Mike Wallace's of the FA world. He is going to get $10 million a year or more. We'd have to forget about keeping Watt when he becomes a FA or cut a lot of other core players.

How about this adjustment to my "Build through the draft" mantra?

Build through the draft and add a few value pieces in Free Agency.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote