View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #48
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions interested in Glover Quin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I'm not suggesting that Manning is more valuable. If it were a situation where they were both FAs and you could only re-sign one, I'd take Quin right now. However, Manning is under contract already.

Technically everyone is replaceable. The problem lies with can you replace them with a comparable level or better player.

It would be a lot easier to get another S of Quin's ability than a DE of Watt's or a WR of Johnson's.
Right, I definitely agree with you about Cushing and Watt. The big point I am trying to make is that the level of play we got from Quin will cost a good chunk of change and/or a high draft pick to replace.

A guy like Byrd would never be able to play Quin's role. I don't think Delmas can either. Maybe you can say that Byrd is "as good" as Quin, but it boils down to scheme and what a player is asked to do. Byrd in this scheme would suck compared to Quin, and Quin as a centerfield type of safety would probably not be as effective as he is now. Even if they could, why do people assume they can be had for less than what Quin is asking or would want?

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were saying anything about Manning, just using him as an example of a player that won't fill the role. Manning is good at what he does though.

I'm all for replacing him with a cheaper option if we get the same level of play. I just don't think that is as easy as it sounds or really even possible given what is out there. If that's what we want, it's going to have to be someone on a rookie contract.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote