View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #63
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Paying Dunta 7+ million a year is overpaying him, and that's what we offered before franchising him for 10 million. We were stuck paying top dollar to a guy who never made a probowl because we had no depth at the position. 7 million a year in 2010 was too much, but we lucked out that he didn't take that deal and instead of paying him about 23 million, we only paid 10 for a one year rental. If you want to give kudos to Rick for that, then I don't know what to tell you. The situation was bad regardless of what we did.

On Winston:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/

I believe it was on Twitter that he was angry about not getting asked to at least renegotiate. He did have two years left on his deal, so there was room to maneuver. Signing a deal worth more money (5.5m a year with the Chiefs, vs 4.5m salary on the Texans) goes to show the Texans missed an opportunity to trade him. Why wouldn't the Chiefs or someone else trade a 6th or swap picks a round apart for Winston to take on his non-guaranteed deal? If he doesn't work out, cut him and he costs less than what they paid for him this year. If Winston Justice can be traded for a swap of 6th round picks and a salary of 3.25m, then Winston ought to be worth at least a 6th outright...
I forgot how much we had offered Dunta. I agree that $7 million is also too much, but we didn't give him Falcons money. At that point, though, we were still in a position where we had to offer players more than they might have been worth.

I remember Winston on the radio, but I still don't think he would have renegotiated. His agent wasn't going to accept that when he knew he'd get as good or better money out there. As for the trading of him, I'm not part of anyone's inner circle so I don't know if they did shop him. Most teams are pretty tight lipped about that. Was Justice traded because the team needed to clear cap space or was he traded because they wanted to move him? GMs know each other's cap space. If the 49ers were in a bad situation and were going to have to cut Smith they weren't going to get a 2nd round pick for him. I realize they didn't want to pay the roster bonus, but that's different.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote