View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013   #60
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
1. We wanted to keep Dunta, but we weren't willing to overpay him. Rick could have gone the Falcons route, but didn't and let him walk.

3. We don't know if the Texans approached Winston to take a pay cut. They may have and I'm sure he would have said no. It's the last year of his contract so he's going to get the money. I agree that maybe a trade could have been found, but if teams know you need to move someone they might not be as quick to answer that call.
Paying Dunta 7+ million a year is overpaying him, and that's what we offered before franchising him for 10 million. We were stuck paying top dollar to a guy who never made a probowl because we had no depth at the position. 7 million a year in 2010 was too much, but we lucked out that he didn't take that deal and instead of paying him about 23 million, we only paid 10 for a one year rental. If you want to give kudos to Rick for that, then I don't know what to tell you. The situation was bad regardless of what we did.

On Winston:

Quote:
“Unfortunately I have bad news,” Winston wrote. “The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories and great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet. Let me say thank you to Mr. McNair and the whole Texan organization. They have had big role in the player and person I have become. And last but not least to my fans and teammates. You guys are the absolute best! I will miss all of you more than you know.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/

I believe it was on Twitter that he was angry about not getting asked to at least renegotiate. He did have two years left on his deal, so there was room to maneuver. Signing a deal worth more money (5.5m a year with the Chiefs, vs 4.5m salary on the Texans) goes to show the Texans missed an opportunity to trade him. Why wouldn't the Chiefs or someone else trade a 6th or swap picks a round apart for Winston to take on his non-guaranteed deal? If he doesn't work out, cut him and he costs less than what they paid for him this year. If Winston Justice can be traded for a swap of 6th round picks and a salary of 3.25m, then Winston ought to be worth at least a 6th outright...