Originally Posted by dalemurphy
The NFL is confirming that Rick Smith has become a shrewd S.O.B.... Look at how his very difficult and controversial decisions the past few seasons have turned out:
1. Dunta Robinson- Falcons cut him 3 years into that monster deal.
2. Asomugha- remember how many people wanted us to get him. Disaster for Phillie! Joseph was cheaper, younger, and has been much better.
3. Winston- Surprising cut by Houston last year. Less surprising, KC cut him this year.
4. Demeco- We got out from under that contract and received to mid round picks. A year later, Phillie is struggling to keep him and he was part of an awful defense.
5. I wanted Barwin signed before last year. Smith didn't and he's going to be cheaper now.
6. Briesel- hardly worth $20 million he received last year (and we are about to get a 5th or 6th round pick as compensation for not letting him destroy our cap)
7. Jason Allen? Didn't miss him and about to be rewarded a 6th round compensatory pick for him.
8. Mario- Anyone doubt that anymore? (plus a 3rd rounder this year)
9. Kareem Jackson pick- Not looking too bad after last season.
10. 10-11 picks this year in the draft.
11. Literally, according to my info, Texans have $73,000 of dead money this year. Wow!
When Rick Smith learns how to make trades where he can dump poor assets and acquire strong players consistently instead of having this "follow behind poppa Kubiak" with his "build through the draft only" approach then I'll refer to him as "shrewd." Until then, he'll continue to be a guy that is average at best that looks good because of Kubiak and Wade's cherry picked guys in the draft. Rick Smith doesn't seem to know how to make strong trades at all and I hate that about him. He has only had one off season where he went after some help in free agency and it worked out very well, but we haven't seemed to have figured out how to free up cap money since.
Lol at the idea of Rick Smith being shrewd.