Thread: Pro day updates
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pro day updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppaul View Post
I live in nm and used to do a little bit of writing for a local lobo site. I've watched every one of his games that kid is an absolute steal, fantastic hands with regular highlight reel one handed circus catches. Sneaky fast and a good route runner. Will take a hit and has no fear going across the middle. Played in an offense that in his senior year threw the ball a grand total of 154 times in 13 games usually in third an 25 situations. Played his entire career under the historically inept offensive coaching of mike locksley. Look at his sophomore campaign that was the only time that he had a qb (4 different ones that year) who wasn't off the d3 scrap pile. Third team all American as a freshmen.

Hugely underrated. Absolute steal that could be grabbed in the 6-udfa. I have posted a couple of times about this kid already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I'm assuming that means he was good at blocking and that was his main function in that offense. Would I be correct? If so, then that would be even better because I think a good blocking TE is what the Texans will be looking for. Does anyone know if the Texans had any scouts/coaches there at his Pro-Day?
I just watched the UT game. Reed was pretty good in blocking.
He won a majority of his blocks, including a couple against Jeffcoat.
He never got beat badly, but he did fail to connect on a few second-level block.
It looks more likely due to the blocking scheme calling for him to approach the defenders at certain angle, but the defenders went against the grain. That doesn't hurt the play much.

He looked very comfortable with the cut block and was strong in-line.

I have about 5 more games (from 2010 to 2012) I can watch.
Too bad, none of those games feature him as a pass catcher so it might be difficult to evaluate that part of his game.

He did have 33 catches for a nice average per catch and 5 TDs as a sophomore, and his performance in catching drills at his pro day should lighten up that concern.

In the UT game, he was used mainly as a blocker in the triple pistol option.

I saw him run a shallow crossing route (and was open, due to scheme) and a wheel route (with he defender play back) so I really can't tell about his route running ability. Hopefully, I'll see some of that when I get to the other games.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote