View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013   #73
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If nothing changes is the key. There are still players in '14 to rework.
Haha, yes there are plenty of players to rework in 2014, so we can send their cap hits to 15/16/17 I guess. When you look at what the Patriots have done over the last 10 years to stay competitive and make the playoffs nearly every year, do you see them pushing money to future years? Do you see them restructuring contracts and pushing money into future years? I don't, and I think that's the way to to do it. Pay your guys fairly each year, and draft to fill holes as needed. Pick up free agents for cheap and hope you get lucky every once in a while.

Quote:
Also, why should Cushing get $8 m if Brown only gets 6 Foster 5.75 and AJ 6.5? Joseph does get $7.5 but I think that was an exceptional offer.
I think Cushing gets about 8 million a year because that's a good deal for a 34 ILB. It's actually a bit lower than the top 5 ILBs though (top AAV is 10 a year), and it would make him the 9th highest paid ILB in the league. He might get 9 a year from the Texans, but whatever, for the point PK was making it's dumb to push 15 million into 14/15/16 just to sign a guy for 8m a year when they are already cash strapped. Unless of course you want to say 2013 is our year, and it's literally Super Bowl or bust, because doing all this cap maneuvering will cause this team to fall apart in 2014 or 2015.

As for the other guys, you're looking at 2013 salaries, which is not indicative of their actual compensation.

Duane Brown's AAV is 8.9 million (10th for LTs)
Foster 8.7(4th for RBs)
AJ is 9.68(7th for WRs)
Joseph is 9.75(7th for CBs)

All of these guys are well paid and in the top 10 at their position with regard to compensation. I think Cushing will get an extension worth about 8-9m average, and that will put him in the top 10 of ILBs, which is just about the same as all the other guys listed above.

Quote:
I do agree that you are playing with fire but you do not necessarily have to get burned. Rather than rework Joseph for example to extend Cushing, rework Brown and Foster, young guys who should be around & not cause dead money in fulfilling entire contract.
Extending Cushing likely doesn't help the cap this year. He counts 4.6m against the cap this year and he is coming back from injury. An extension will only make that number go up in 2013. Now if you want to reduce future cap hits, they could extend him this year and include the signing bonus in 2013. That's what they did with Duane Brown, and it should help out in the future. That is wise cap management IMO, reducing costs over time, while not putting off paying your players.