View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013   #63
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Many may not remember, but Schaub's footwork factored in as a major attraction by the Texans when they made their selection in 2007.

Let me see. A QB is known for his consistently good to great footwork from 2007 to 2010........then sustains a devastating foot injury...........then pertaining to the 2012 season, even the owner is commenting on his sudden ridiculously poor footwork..........................must be an arm or shoulder injury or something.

And to put to rest the question of why would he put himself out there for the ProBowl if his foot was injured and he was having problems because of it? You can have the best surgeon in the world, and all that can be hoped for on his part is that he puts the foot (in this case) back together precisely anatomically. If that is accomplished, the surgery on the part of the surgeon is considered successful. In a Lisfranc, especially when a fracture if involved, despite excellent reconstruction, not uncommonly long-term and/or progressive life-long chronic pain and tenderness can be experienced. And this is not necessarily due to any re-injury.........this can be simply and only due to the ligamentous, bone and/or cartilaginous trauma sustained at the time of the Lisfranc fracture injury.

This would easily explain why Schaub never appeared on the injury report. Pain and/or tenderness is not an indication for why a player is placed on an Injury Report. Otherwise, virtually every player if not every player of an NFL team would be listed on the Injury Report every week.

As far as the Pro Bowl game. As deliniated above, the problem is not one that you worry necessarily about re-injury to a well-repaired Lisfranc. Rather, the pain and tenderness to deal with while playing that game. Schaub could have very well falsely believed that the rest that he received after his last post season game and prior to playing in the Pro Bowl game would have lessened his debility. Yet, with a “stellar” performance in the Pro Bowl, he could have “rehabilitated” his very tarnished reputation stemming from all the nationally televised embarrassments.

If Schaub does, indeed, need any additional surgery on his foot, the need would very unlikely come from re-injury to his foot..........it would most likely be as a result from severe arthritic changes accompanied by its unbearable pain. That type of surgery would require fusion of the bones.........something that would certainly not be expected to leaving him with any great mobility.
I've always been right there with you.

Just because he's not on an injury report doesn't mean he's not hurting out there.

He gets rest, he works his way back during camp, probably went through preseason feeling decent...then has a great stretch of 7 games or so, then the foot wears down. The stamina wears down. Probably receiving shots to help him get through it each week.

That's been my stance since about the first game vs Patriots. All the spreadsheets in the world don't matter when the eyeball test tells you something isn't right.

At the end of the day, this entire franchise is coming off as if it is compelled to give Matt Schaub the ball no matter what. A duty, an obligation for the sake of the code of loyalty.

Which I think is driving Matt Schaub in a wrong direction physically and psychologically as the QB who now knows he's been given a lot of rope....and you know what they say about one who's given too much rope.

Frankly, I think we're in for a sobering 2013 that makes us once again feeling like we wasted time. I think a guy like Bob McNair is learning hard truths about NFL ownership: You can never be sentimental to the point that you set your team back. Just when he thought we had arrived, and his QB was set for the future, something terrible happens.

Sucks.