View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What the hell did we do?

Correct me if I'm wrong on the following, this is just more ramblings and musings than anything else:

The new CBA was geared toward making all rookie contracts expire after 4 years. The rookies are now slotted in terms of their first rookie deal; how much they earn...which has wiped out the huge-ass deals the 1st round rookies used to receive (in short: players cannot as easily "retire" after being awful for their first couple of years).

In addition, the cap has not been raised to higher levels than anticipated.

So we've got less money being spent on rookie contracts, which last for three more years after their initial rookie year expires.

Then you've got a less-than-stellar cap ceiling to work with, which SHOULD seem to be OK since rookie deals are lower in price and standard in length (4 years).

So what's causing the pinch for so many teams? Could it take about 3 years from now for free agent contracts to normalize a bit...essentially lowering the FA contract amounts because the rookie deals were lower, to begin with, so that should theoretically mean that that player's first FA contract would be relative to what they HAD been making the previous four seasons under the new CBA's slotted salary system.

I'm just trying to figure out how teams are expected to handle success on a long-term basis if the cap figures do not keep in-step with "inflation" of each year's new Mega Deals that then make other players' deals jump accordingly.

Hope that makes sense, ya' know what I'm saying? There has to be some sort of logical explanation as to where things WERE and where things are HEADED. Otherwise, what was the point of the new CBA's attempt to reign in rookie contracts but then to have a low cap ceiling each year that isn't growing proportionally with each new round of Free Agents???