View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Agents we should look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Anquan Boldin
I don't know what savings we would get from this, but it was from a Kuharsky article over at ESPN:

1. Cut Kevin Walter, and let McCain, Dobbins, and Quin walk.

2. Restructure AJ and Antonio Smith.

With those moves made, and I can't remember if that included letting Cody go too, but I'd try to get this FA move made right here, below:

3. Sign Anquan Boldin.

The reasons:

A. Walter is done. We have K-Mart and I'll take his return game and ceiling as a WR to get the job done that Walter is known for providing us. Seriously, what could be lost for cutting Walter and trusting K-Mart who will be in his second season and eager to put a shaky freshman year behind him?

B. McCain was coming on strong as a nickel guy, but let's not overpay.

C. Dobbins was my favorite LB past two years because he added low-cost value and reliable run-stopping skills. But, he's injury prone. Time to let go.

D. Quin is the toughest to let walk. But I just don't see how we can retain him, plus I'd rather sacrifice him and gain a pretty boss WR in Boldin.

------------

Anquan Boldin is legit. He's not Eric Moulds. He just took Flacco onto his back, that whole team onto his back, and navigated the Ravens through the playoffs and onto a SB win. He bails out his QB. And frankly, that's what we need: Another "Andre Johnson" type WR. We don't need the little slot WRs who can't get separation nor YAC to save their life out there. We need a BIG MAN who has the veteran skills to burn opposing DBs and get the bail-out pass from the average QB.

I had said I wasn't in favor of wasting any draft picks on offense if it meant giving Gary and Matt tools that we could have used on defense (since I don't think Gary/Matt Ball would even utilize those tools properly to begin with; therefore it'd be a waste). BUT.....that's regarding unseasoned rookies who are out of college. When it comes to a guy like Boldin, if he wants to help a team who is on the cusp of maybe getting him a second SB ring??? And a chance to show the Ravens what they lost??? Yeah, you grab that guy and hope you get to play the Ravens in the playoffs for the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Period.