View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What the hell did we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
We also picked KW out from the Bengals bench for a 7th...so there's that route.
I don't know about RFAs. There's Danario Alexander, but the Chargers will match any reasonable offer. I don't want to say there's zip out there in free agency. The question is, would Kubiak rather have one of these guys than Walter? Some guys that fit the WCO WR profile and would come cheap:

Mohamed Massaquoi - Has never played with a decent QB. Finished 2012 on IR.
Derek Hagan - JAG who has been hanging around the league.
Kevin Ogletree - Had some decent games for Dallas.
Austin Collie - Had some decent years with Peyton and the Colts. Missed most of 2012 with a knee injury.
Michael Jenkins - Big possession receiver who would likely get close to the vet minimum.
Ramses Barden - Been in the league 4 years with a total of 29 receptions.
David Nelson - Another guy coming off a knee injury. Had a pretty good 2011 season in Buffalo.

So you get one of these guys for around $1 million in 2013. Add in the Walter dead money, and that's $3 million. Or, get Walter to reduce his salary to $2 million and put his cap hit at $3miilion (which it was in 2012)? What would you do? I think I know what Kubiak would do, and that's keep Walter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Seriously, I would cut Wade/A. Smith and Walter. With that Savings I would try to sign Levitre in FA and a cheap vet like Danario Alexander/Riley Cooper type WR. Then draft Datone Jones in the 1st and Ryan Swope in the 2nd.
You would spend a lot more money signing Levitre than keeping Wade Smith. Alexander won't be that cheap (to keep the Chargers from matching) and Cooper is under contract.