View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair: Cushing "ahead of schedule"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
This is why comparing his recovery to Peterson and Charles is the wrong gauge. A runningback has attributes other than strength and mass to rely upon. An ILB requires those attributes to be a flying brick wall.
I disagree.

I think they're the same, actually.

You have two "trenches" in terms of an OL and a DL....

Behind an OL you've got a RB who makes a lot of contact on every play except the rare time when they flare out to the sideline and never get touched.

Behind a DL you've got LBs who make a lot of contact on every play, except the times when they are in zone and are staying home to patrol and area.

Then you've got WRs and DBs who compare to one another, probably making the least amount of contact other than perhaps the QB.

I think LBs and RBs actually compare fairly well to one another. Sure, one is trying to NOT get hit and the other is trying to DO the hitting...but the fact remains that they both start off at the snap by being behind a trench of bigger guys and they're on a collision course with one another. A LB has to have the same off-the-snap explosion and agility as a RB does, IMO.