View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013   #66
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think the key to cap is establishing your roster in a way that incoming rookies with low dollar contracts & 2nd year guys replace the higher $ vets you can let go. We often focus on the high dollar guys rather than the low dollar guys such as Cushing, KJ, Newton, etc. especially when the vet is not doing well. The high $ players should be at the critical positions such as LT, WR1, QB and CB1. Exceptions like Foster who is top tier RB and a FA such as Manning exist.

After this off season, we should be grooming or drafting replacements for Schaub, AJ, OD, Manning, Antonio Smith and Joseph. IMO, replacements for Myers & Wade Smith
(Jones & Brooks)are on roster. Beginning in 2014, we should focus on top 3 rounds only and trade the other rounds.
I entirely agree that good drafting is key to successful cap management. You HAVE to let some of your higher priced veterans go and replace them with rookies. If you have too many draft misses, you can't do that anymore and the quality of your team suffers (see Cowboys, there are probably many others, but I follow DAL a little closer than most other teams).
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote