View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013   #53
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans - 2.4 Million Cap Carryover for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So PK wants us to push about 15+ million in salary into the next 3 year's caps, and for what? To sign Quin? WTF is the point in doing all that and screwing ourselves for the next 3 years? If you want a surefire way to NOT retain Cushing, then pushing all that money to next year and beyond is the way to do it. This guy is a Titans fan, and I don't think he put enough thought into that "plan" to make it worthwhile. I could see if he thinks Cushing is worth 10m a year, and Quin is worth 5m a year, but that's just crazy talk. Cush should be locked up for about 7-10m a year, because that's about what ILBs get, but I can't see Quin warranting that much money. Even if they did that, Cush wouldn't immediately jump up to 7-10m this season, unless they wanted him to, which would be pointless IMO.

The Texans could extend Cushing this year like they did with Duane Brown and push some of the signing bonus into the present year, but coming off injury makes me not want to do it until the offseason. Cush can be F tagged in the offseason, so he's not going anywhere. We saw what happened when you pay a guy too early with Schaub, so I would hate for the team to make the same mistake again.
Now here is were I'm not quite sure why you believe it effects the next 3 years? If it's converted to a bonus that is spread out over years then my understanding is it only comes back to haunt you IF the player is eventually cut & then it becomes "dead money". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if that is the case then that's were the GM must be careful on whom he restructures especially if it's a player w/ a lengthy contract or a player who wont make it past a year or 2 on the team. It seems players that are "core" players that you plan to build around would be the focus to ensure they stick around & the converted bonus won't come back to haunt them.

I do believe Cushing & Antonio should be extended to help lower their hits, but I could understand why Cushing would wait. Walter should be cut IMO. He makes too much for very minimal contribution. I do believe re-signing Quin is important because he is a key member of the team. His replacement will either be a rookie or a cast off such as Gerald Sensbaugh(used him because we all know Wade loves his ex-cowturds) which, IMO, would be a step back & not forward for a team that is somewhat built to win now. Quin is a good player, IMO, who fits the system well. Im not saying overpay him, but they should work hard to retain him to avoid a regression at the position.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote