View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Newton Has Knee Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
If there were no salary cap I don't believe the Texans would have ever cut Winston. while not a perfect player, he was good in our system. the newton injury probably contributes some, but I want to believe once winston came free, the texans would have at least called.
I don't know. With Winston making the money he was making, I don't trust the Texans to do the right thing & play the better player. In my mind, that's Newton. He's not going to get better on the sideline watching the game. You've got to throw them in there, let them take their lumps, and learn from the experience.

Major knee surgery tells me it was more serious than I originally believed & he probably shouldn't have been playing down the stretch. Newton was improving all season long up until he got hurt & if healthy, I think will have a monster year in 2013.

To me, Winston was like Dunta. A good player, no doubt, but his ceiling was way lower than we needed it to be. Our F.O. screwed up & paid them too much & as along as we're paying better than average players "max" contracts, we'll have less flexibility with the salary cap. We would not have drafted a CB in the first round if we were going to keep Dunta. We would not have signed a FA of Jjo's stature if we were overpaying Dunta, or if our 1st round pick looked like a 1st round corner.

I don't believe we would get better on the right side if we were still overpaying Winston.