View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Newton Has Knee Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
They are one of the worst, in fact.

With better cap management the Texans would have likely won at least one or two Super Bowls by now. It seems like the Ravens and Patriots are a step above us in that department. Baltimore just won the Super Bowl with three former Texans, two of which I hated to see go, Jacoby Jones, Vonta Leach and Bernard Pollard. All of them played exceptionally well during the playoffs from what I watched.

And yet people wonder why the Texans lack the mental toughness to win a road game at Foxboro during the playoffs? It's not rocket science. The Ravens just went out there and executed a better game plan than Houston. They didn't need letterman jackets or make excuses as to why they couldn't secure homefield advantage.

It's hard to believe we don't even have decent cap space to sign Eric Winston after already losing so much amazing talent the past two or three off-seasons. I'm not even talking about Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Eric Winston or Mike Brisiel, but those are four more impact starters. The loss of Mario and DeMeco did hurt us because of injuries (Brian Cushing, Tim Dobbins) and inconsistent play from both Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin on the outside.

The Texans will continue to lose good talent this off-season and we will replace them with guys who are not nearly as good. That to me is the main concern. While teams like the Patriots and Ravens, find creative and new ways to make more cap space. That is why those teams legitimately compete for Super Bowls and the Texans are sitting at home after the divisional round.

I still love the Texans with all of my heart but it pains me how bad our front office is with cap management. Rick Smith is a brilliant GM based on talent evaluation but he isn't good at managing salaries. He over-pays when it's not necessary. The Texans are in this financial mess for a reason. Just imagine how worse things would be if players like Andre Johnson didn't step up and restructure their enormous contracts for the betterment of the team?

If I were Rick Smith, I'd politely ask Schaub and Foster to restructure their deals so we can have enough cap space to re-sign Glover Quin and sign Eric Winston. We may lose Connor Barwin but after listening to his recent radio interview, he seems excited to play for a team like New England. "That would be nice" were his exact words. But we can start Whitney Mercilus and Brooks Reed on the outside in 2013, hopefully have a healthy Cushing back and draft one of the many talented inside linebackers in this draft.

A80 is right, Rick Smith is actually one of the best GM's in the league. He's not perfect but he is very good. Texans are ranked 5th in the league for getting value from their players.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-team-totals/
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote