View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013   #36
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released by Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
From 2008 to the rest of his time as a Texan, Winston had Mike Brisiel to his left. In zone runs the Guard has a ton more to do than a tackle. The bottom fell out of the o-line when MB broke his leg in 2011 and Winston was still in there. I think the Texans believed they would be able to keep MB so cut Winston.

Our shell shocked QB needs pass pro more than our all pro RB needs run blocking. How much of our non existent cap room do you want to put on the line? We have Cody, Barwin, and Quin (all starters) who are unrestricted. We are paper thin at ILB. No one has hard numbers on the cap but it is very likely any money you add will require a cap saving cut. Not just a cut but a cut that saves you cap space.
whoever our right tackle is will have jones and/or brooks beside them, both an upgrade over brisiel IMO. as for the pass pro, you know that's not how it works. we're not built to drop back repeatedly. we have 3 legit runningbacks, a versatile fullback, and a purpose built offensive line ... we need to be able to run the ball in any and all situations, and work the pass off of those runs. that died at the end of the year because we were near crippled on the right side and teams were able to dictate our run game and force us to drop back.

if i had my way, i'd forget about winston and trade up heavily to take a wide receiver and offensive tackle in the first round. the monster in the NFL right now is the 49'ers, who basically made 2 quarterbacks all-pro's this year ... no wonder since they have 3 first rounders on the line, another at backup RG, 1st rounders at tightend and wide receiver and a former quarterback coaching them. i would LOOOOOVE to see kubiak with that kind of ammo. winston has proven himself has a really good run blocker and merely adequate pass blocker, he also has chemistry with our line and coaches ... that is very much a difference maker in january.

i realize we're bumping the cap, but as i understand it, we have a bit more flexibility this year. barwin's out and his replacement is already on the roster. mitchell is likely starting next year. walter is probably going to be cut or renegotiated. smith is up in the air. the only real concern regarding the cap is quin, and if it came to a safety or offensive lineman ... i for one believe the game is won and lost in the trenches.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-07-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote