View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013   #27
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 8317 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released by Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
my eye tells me they arent directly comparable. winston was more of an anchor where as newton was a piece. i cant claim to know the responsibilities of either, but it seemed to me that we gave winston twice the duty that newton saw. newton certainly had a few moments in the sun, and flashed a bit of pass pro, but the consistency was non existent and their run blocking isnt in the same league.

going to PFF, newton was blasted for his inconsistent play and poor overall game ... "matching every solid performance with two poor ones. Struggling as a run blocker in particular, Newton also allowed 32 total pressures and was just inconsistent in general." winston was the cheif's #4 undervalued players and as a texan ranked no worse than #7 among right tackles in the nfl.
From 2008 to the rest of his time as a Texan, Winston had Mike Brisiel to his left. In zone runs the Guard has a ton more to do than a tackle. The bottom fell out of the o-line when MB broke his leg in 2011 and Winston was still in there. I think the Texans believed they would be able to keep MB so cut Winston.

Our shell shocked QB needs pass pro more than our all pro RB needs run blocking. How much of our non existent cap room do you want to put on the line? We have Cody, Barwin, and Quin (all starters) who are unrestricted. We are paper thin at ILB. No one has hard numbers on the cap but it is very likely any money you add will require a cap saving cut. Not just a cut but a cut that saves you cap space.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote