View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released by Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know how much pressure Winston gave up, but the combo of Harris and Newton combined to allow the same number of sacks as Winston (but with one fewer penalty.) That with Newton playing hurt or less than 100% for awhile and Winston was averaging 7.5 sacks allowed the previous two years.

The only thing we can say for sure is that Winston was the better run blocker; but Newton and Harris didn't have much time to gel with the rest of the O-line, which never had continuity to start with - having 3 different guys playing at RG.

We don't know if Newton will improve enough next year, but we can't rule that out either.

I don't think the Texans can afford more than a couple of mils for a FA; but who knows, maybe they will surprise us ?!?
my eye tells me they arent directly comparable. winston was more of an anchor where as newton was a piece. i cant claim to know the responsibilities of either, but it seemed to me that we gave winston twice the duty that newton saw. newton certainly had a few moments in the sun, and flashed a bit of pass pro, but the consistency was non existent and their run blocking isnt in the same league.

going to PFF, newton was blasted for his inconsistent play and poor overall game ... "matching every solid performance with two poor ones. Struggling as a run blocker in particular, Newton also allowed 32 total pressures and was just inconsistent in general." winston was the cheif's #4 undervalued players and as a texan ranked no worse than #7 among right tackles in the nfl.